Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Frenemy #1 Jose Cuervo

Today's big question was "So, what did you do last night?" My answer was typically boring. I worked until 10, then went home and watched Gray's Anatomy Season 3. And, I'm so okay with that. You see, I've had my share of wild and crazy New Year's Eves.

It was 1999. Y2K. I was 21 and ready to par-tay. This was pre- Justin and definitely pre-Maddie. This was also pre- common sense.

Mom, you may not want to read the rest of this. But, if you do, please stop reading, please stop reading you've been warned.

I lived in a small college town, about 45 minutes away from Nashville. My roommate and I decided to go into Nashville, to party at a club. The biggest benefit was that my other good friend worked there, and everything was free. Drinks included.

Soon after arriving at the club, I met my friend for the night. Jose Cuervo. That's right. Tequila. Lots of tequila. Shots.

The rest of the night is somewhat of a blur. I remember dancing, drinking, dancing, nothing happened Y2K wise on the East Coast- everything's gonna be all right, more drinking. And then we went and stayed at another friend's house.

The next morning/afternoon, when we woke up, I had some fuzzy flashbacks. Surely that didn't happen. I couldn't have been that bad off. My friend assured me it did, and I was.

Apparently, I had been so bad off, I couldn't walk to the parking garage. So, my best friend (pretty sober) and the friend (really sober) we were staying with that night, went to get the truck. They left me in front of the bar, with a cell phone, and told me to wait for them to pick me up. Well, what do you think happens when you tell a drunk girl to wait for you? That's right, she starts walking.

I walked/stumbled about 5 blocks. Didn't have a clue as to where I was. So, I did what any crazy, stupid- drunk girl would do. I told random strangers that I was homeless. I don't know why I did it. Or why anyone would believe me, but I made 8 dollars.

Obviously, my friends couldn't find me when they made it back to the bar. So they called the cell phone that I had in my purse. I was trying to convince a woman that I was homeless (you know, because all homeless women reek of tequila, wear heels, and carry cell phones), when the phone rang. She answered it for me and told them where to find me. I guess she never really believed that I was homeless.

This is a story has been told and retold many times. It's always funny to hear it from my friend's perspective, but, quite frankly, it scares me to death, to think of how stupid I was. I was extremely lucky that night. And for the rest of the year, actually. That's the year I met Justin.

And decided that I never wanted another shot of Jose Cuervo.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

Irene said...

Well, I don't admit it much now, and I am definitely NOT proud of it, but I have had my fair share of way too drunk nights. Of course, that was way back, when I was young, single, and of course, VERY VERY stupid.

I cringe when I think of some of the things I have said or done. Nothing too bad, nothing too dangerous, just lots of alcohol. But, holy cow, it STILL scares the HECK out of me when I think what COULD have happened.

Isn't is nice when those days are behind you?

Hope you have a great new year!!!!

Kellan said...

That is a funny story - $8.00 is hysterical, but you were lucky! We all have stories that we'd rather not remember - this one was funny! See you later. Kellan

Kimberlee Kee said...

Whoa, you beat me on that one! We all have stories that come to haunt us every now and then, especially now that my girls are getting older. Thank the Lord...we grew up!! Love ya sis!!

Cynthia said...

Oh the stories Jose and I could tell...He and his friend Pepe Lopez!

Rachel said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!
*snort*

I have been there, oh have I been there.
Great story darlin'!

Amy said...

That is a great reason to stay away from Jose! I'm glad you made it home safe and sound.

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.