Sunday, January 13, 2008

One Week

In one week, I'll be a little older- definitely. In one week, I'll be a little wiser- maybe. In one week, I'll be a better person- hopefully. In one week, I'll be. . .gulp. . . 30.

What is it about 30? I know, 30 is supposed to be the new 20. But, it's not, you know. It's still a whole decade older than 20 and only a decade away from 40. It's. Still. 30.

Looking back, I loved my 20's. It was a time of self discovery. I discovered what I loved-laughing, family, friends, coffee, running, and most importantly, Justin and Maddie. I discovered what I hated- olives, watching my child get shots, running, getting carded every single time I wanted to drink, worrying over every tiny detail that I had no control over, and the fear of the unknown. I discovered that I had it in me, to be a wife and a mother. And, a pretty decent one, at that.

But, I'm not going to settle for pretty decent.

My 30's are going to be so much better than my 20's. I can feel it. I no longer have that arrogance, that feeling that I was invincible, that I had in my early 20's. And that will help me make smarter, safer decisions. I no longer have the insecurities that I had in my mid 20's. I am confident in myself, as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. Most of the time. Kinda. In my late 20's, I discovered that I have potential. In my 30's, I plan on proving it.

Last night, Justin and I went out for dinner. I didn't get carded when I ordered some wine. I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

I bought eye transforming cream, last week. It really needs to start working. Fast. After all, I'll be 30 in one week.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Patricia said...

Thirty was fun. Forty is better. I'm 40+ and I am satisfied with "me" more so than in my 20s and 30s. The 30s went by fast so keep your eyes open and enjoy the ride. *sigh* I haven't been carded for years though.... kinda miss that!

Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

I still have 8 months of my 20s!! Enjoy your 30s!! HA HA! You know I love ya!

suchsimplepleasures said...

i'll be (gasp, gulp)39, in 2 months!!! enjoy your 30...because, before you know it, you'll be (gasp, gulp) 39...which, as you know, is one year away from todays 30!!!
xoxo

Sarah said...

Yeah, 30 can be traumatic. But it's true - the thirties are excellent for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus, you'll get to experience your beautiful daughter growing up. And maybe welcome another!

Happy birthday, one week early.

Irene said...

I met my now husband when I turned 30. We weren't dating then, just flirting. We worked together, and he wrote me the funniest poem for my 30th birthday. I still have it.

I am now 40, going to hit 41 in a few months! And I have to say, my 20's were incredibly fun (single, friends, travel etc), my 30's were even better (marriage, kids), but I LOVE being 40 too! I think getting older gives me more confidence and more motivation to never ever act my age, and so far, it seems to be working. Many people are shocked when I tell them I am 40, they honestly think I am lying. And THAT is WAY cool!

Amy said...

I remember turning 30. I was 16 weeks pregnant with my firstborn. I would tell everyone. "Well, I'm pregnant, so I might as well be 30!"

Your 30's are everything you hope it will be. Experience brings wisdom, wisdom brings peace and self-awareness. Self-awareness brings personal growth.

Oh, and the best eye cream is Botox!
Enjoy your 30's.

Kellan said...

You're just a baby! Enjoy your 30's!

Hey - thanks for coming over and leaving the well wishes - I am fine - only need to remember about that bra thing the next time I ever have to call 911. Hope to see you tomorrow. Kellan

Dawn said...

Yes, just a lass! I'll be 39 (for real)in March.

Amy said...

Hello there! I've wandered over here a few times and just wanted to leave a comment. I loved my twenties and thought I was going to hate 30 (now I'm 32) but they are fun!! I can remember my mom having a panic attack on her 30th bday and I still to this day am not so sure what that was all about. I think the funniest thing about turning the decade is that now I am older than all the girls on the Bachelor. I don't know, for some reason, that just cracks me up! Anyway, I hope to stop by again and keep up with your adventures. Happy Early Birthday!

Cynthia said...

30 is young! Go out, have fun, and enjoy it!

BookMamma said...

I turned the big 3-0 this year. I went quietly and it wasn't too bad but stll a bit weird. You sound like you're ready to embrace it!

Happy early Birthday!

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.