Saturday, January 19, 2008

Scrolling Saturday


This is my first, but not last, Scrolling Saturday. For those of you who don't know, Scrolling Saturday is a chance to re-post your older posts. You know, back before anyone actually read your blog, much less comment on it.

It was easy for me to choose this post. It's all about getting older and that first tell-tale sign of aging. Wrinkles. Since it's my 30th birthday tomorrow, I thought it fit. If you want to find more Scrolling Saturdays, click here.

When you are a mom of a very active 3 year old, certain things get left neglected. Between school, work, the gym, etc., there are days when I'm happy to have time for mascara. As I was helping Maddie brush her teeth yesterday, she said something funny. I laughed and glanced in the mirror. That was my first mistake. What. The. Crap? When did they get there? That has to be a mistake. I made another smile. Nope. Not going anywhere. In fact, I think another just appeared.

I dropped Maddie off and school, not making eye contact with anyone unless absolutely necessary. Headed straight to Target (best place in the universe) to the skin care aisle. Anti-aging to be specific. "Guarantee results in 2 weeks" 2 weeks? I don't have that long!! Do I need only eye cream or should I get face cream? Heck, at the rate these suckers are showing up, I need full body anti aging cream. Do they make knee cream? I'm at a loss. I make my decision- Neutrogena Anti Aging cream. Results in 1 week. Whew.

I put it on as soon as I get home. Feeling pretty good, I think one has already gone away. Confident that I will be back to my youth in super speedy time, I head to work. Things are great. Making good tips- I'm sure it's because I'm almost wrinkle free. After only 1 day, at that.

I have a table of 4 guys. All between the ages of 18-22. Really nice young men. I ask one of them if he needs a refill. And I hear the words that sent chills down my spine.

"Yes, MA'AM"

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Laura Paxton said...

Those wrinkles..they'll get ya every time! Great post!

Jenni said...

We demand "yes ma'ams" from the 2 year olds, but cringe when they come from a 20 year old! Totally understand.

Happy birthday. 30 is the new 20.

Truthfully, though, I think 30 is an awesome age.

lattemommy said...

Great post! Don't worry about turning 30. I crossed that bridge a few years ago, and I've come to find that I like me in my 30s better than me in my 20s. Wrinkles and all!

(But I do hate when I get called ma'am!)

suchsimplepleasures said...

i hate being a ma'am!! hate it!!! and, those little fine lines...or smile lines, as other people call them...they are wrinkles! no ifs ands or buts, they dent my skin, which is a wrinkle!!!
love the post...i'm trying not to smile...don't want the lines to deepen!!

Joanna said...

This is where being stuffed with extra fluff comes in handy - no wrinkles. Skin is already holding all it can so it can't wrinkle. ;)

Rachel said...

Absolutely adorable :-)
I'll be 30 in a couple of months. don't really see it being a big deal :-)

Maybe they're just super polite boys/men. That's it, just super polite. I don't mind being called ma'am. But I grew up with it.

Unknown said...

At least your gyno didn't say, "Women your age have to take more calcium." Say what? I'm in my 30s! I'm not THAT old! :-)

Nice to meet you. Funny SS post! I really like your blog!

Kellan said...

That was a great post. I loved it. I am going to participate in the Scrolling Saturday posts - I just forgot - maybe next week I'll do it. Have a good Saturday. Kellan

Sarah said...

Happy birthday one day early!

I agree. Great post.

30 is so much cooler than it used to be. 30-somethings are so much hotter than kids in their 20's.

And why is "sir" a compliment but "ma'am" an insult? Actually, if you're female, both words are insults!

Amy said...

Love it.
I left my comment there.

Happy Birthday tomorrow!
I know it's thirty, and a little scary, so do what I did. Fly to San Diego with your hubbie and stay at a fabulous hotel.
I bought my tickets the day before my birthday and put it all on credit.
Because turning 30 is a great excuse to revert to the irresponsible ways of a 20 year old!

Kat said...

Damn wrinkles. You know what really sucks? Seeing a zit and a wrinkle at the same time! What the? Not fair!!!

Anonymous said...

oh no! Not the "ma'am word. It's the worst! :)haha loved this post!

Lisa said...

I have the smile lines too - I guess it means I'm a happy person?!?!

Amy said...

I know the feeling, I found a grey hair a few months back. Needless to say, I have not let my hair appts lapse since!

Forgetfulone said...

That was a great post!

Creative-Type Dad said...

Happy Birthday (ma'am)

:)

30 isn't so bad. When you turn 35, 30 seems really, really young.

suchsimplepleasures said...

my god...it's gorgeous!! you're new blog look...it's smashing!! i love it!!

Anonymous said...

Neutrogenia Anti-Aging works in a week--that's what your mom uses, too. (Bet you didn't want to hear that either.) Just remember, your children's birthdays hurt more than your own.

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.