Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Joy Is Gone

The only time I bother watching American Idol is during the tryouts. Admit it, you think that's the best part, too, don't you? The terrible singers, the judges' sarcasm and brutal honesty, the few really good singers, the possibility that Paula will show up drunk. . . that's what Americans really want to see.

Last Tuesday night was this season's premiere. I knew that this would probably be my only opportunity to watch any of the tryouts, because I work every Tuesday night. Maddie and I got our pajamas on and settled on the couch for an evening of hilarity. She had no idea what we were about to watch, but I promised her that she would like it.

The show started. . .

DANGIT!! I can't laugh at people's bad singing with my impressionable 3 year old sitting innocently beside me.

CRAP!! I can't smirk and roll my eyes when Simon tells the hopefuls how bad they really are.

AARGH! I can't make fun of how stupid the contestants families act, when they get the news that they are going to Hollywood.

Because, that would kinda negate the whole "be nice to others" thing. That would make it okay for her to say hurtful things to people. That would teach her how to be, well- me.

And I want her to be better than me. I want her to see the good. And not always comment on the bad. I want her to believe she is the best singer/dancer/piano player without the fear of someone making fun of her or laughing at her. I want her to be as happy as any 3 year old can be.

That's why we won't be watching American Idol tryouts this year. Unless, of course, she's in bed.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't you just hate that?!? We are constantly catching ourselves setting bad examples and contradicting what we're telling the peapod squad (3-year old triplets). Ugh...I don't think I could manage AI in their presence. It's only fun to watch if you can be snarky. That and I think Simon is sexy and say so often. Not sure "sexy" should be in their vocab yet. Dang it.

Amy said...

I can see your dilemma. We handled ours by getting our kids on schedule for a 7:30 bedtime. We let them take toys into their rooms so they can play as long as they want, as long as they don't come out!

Pennies In My Pocket said...

ROTFL --- sooooooooooooo hilarious! I keep telling my hubby that our days are numbered now that we have a child. Before long, our baby will be old enough to actually understand us. We'll be in trouble especially while watching AI! How about you get Tivo and watch it after her bedtime? My husband keeps telling me we need to get Tivo, but I'm too cheap to get it yet! lol

BTW, LOVE your blog. I saw your blog title on a comment on Kellan's blog and just had to click on you because the name is sooooooooo cute!!
~melody~

suchsimplepleasures said...

it's amazing how, we try to teach our children to be good and responsible and all around wonderful people. and...we think we're doing pretty well until, we get a note from our children's preschool teachers that our child threw down another kids, put him in a head lock and called him an a..hole! no...that never happened to me but, i'm just trying to make a point!! did i make one?
anyway...it's hard to keep them sheltered. they have to learn that, just because they are being raised to be nice and sweet and good...not all the other children in the world are.

Dawn said...

Love your new look! The key to the cable stitch is my awesome cable hook. I fell in love immediately! I'll show you sometime if you want. See you soon!

Susan said...

You go girl. You are making the right choice and you sound like an awesome mom.

Anonymous said...

That's why I let mine watch American Gladiators that way I can tell them how good the men look! No mean things about them!! Ha! Ha!

dlyn said...

Ah, the dilemma of enjoying the snarkiness of the world or teaching your kids how to behave! What to do, what to do... Nice blog - found you from a comment you made on someone elses blog. I will be back to check you out some more!

Irene said...

It is scary how careful you need to be. Unfortunately, too many parents DON'T realize this.

I often have Friends or Seinfeld on when I am either cooking or cleaning up dinner. My kids are usually just playing in the other room and not paying attention. I thought. Until someone on Friends mentioned seeing someone naked and my 6 yo's was nearby. Her ears perked up. YIKES. I turned off that show in a hurry. She just said "that isn't nice mommy!" Yes, that was very bad and I am a very bad mommy for even having it on.

Amy said...

Oh gosh, I love Simon! And there's where Tivo saves me once again. I put the little one down and then the rest of us "enjoy" the tryouts. I mean they are HILARIOUS!

Kellan said...

Yes - that is a problem. I love AI and just go to my room to watch it - keep the 6 year old away. Nice to know you like AI also - we AI lovers got to stick together. See you later. Kellan

OHmommy said...

The joy is gone. Indeed. My kids are too small to watch TV with me at night. I still have some time before my Joy is gone because I was laughing through the entire show.

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.