Monday, January 7, 2008

Tasty Lessons

I know that my daughter is the pickiest eater in the world, so I asked her what she wanted for her dinner. I was cooking salmon patties and fried potatoes for Justin and myself. I know- healthy, right? I offered to cook her macaroni and cheese or mashed potatoes instead of the fried potatoes. She told me that she just wanted salmon patties. Since she has eaten these, several times, and enjoyed them, I assumed she would actually eat them.

Dinner was ready. We were sitting at the table, I mean in front of the TV (Titan's game), and Maddie claimed that her's was too hot to eat. No problem, I got a container of yogurt for her to eat, while her dinner cooled off.

"Um, Mommy, these are yucky."

"You haven't even tasted them, yet."

"I know, but I'm sure, they really are yucky."

"You told me that you love salmon patties and that you didn't want anything else. Eat your food. Now."

"I. Don't. Want. Them."

"You. Will. Not. Eat. Anything. Else. Until. You. Do"

"Okay."

And, with that, I did something I always swore I would never do. She went to bed without dinner. A carton of yogurt was all she ate last night. And she didn't even care. Or complain that she was hungry. Which, I thought was really strange.

But for some reason, I was really, really hungry. I ate and ate, all night long. I started thinking about it, because I never eat late at night. Was God punishing me, because I made Maddie go to bed without dinner? Had He decided to not make her hungry, and was trying to teach me a lesson, by making me crave all of her favorite foods?

It's true. I craved cheese and crackers, popcorn, fruity cheerios, yogurt, and pecan twirls.

And as I was eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream, I decided that, sometimes, God's lessons taste really good.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

BookMamma said...

LOVE this post! It really made me laugh.
Don't feel bad about sending her to bed with just yogurt. I'm a big believer of "eat it or not, your choice". No one HAS to go to bed hungry, especially when I've provided a yummy meal I KNOW they like and would normally eat. Their choice.

Irene said...

Well, first of all, I don't think your daughter is the pickiest. I am pretty sure my daughter has that honor. She wouldn't set foot NEAR a salmon patty. She rarely eats any type of meat, NEVER EVER FISH, and never any veggies. Although she did eat a couple bites of a raw carrot the other day which floored me.

I thought, being my third, that she would be my easiest, but she is definitely my absolute hardest when it comes to eating.

I am sure your daughter was not hungry, she would probably be crying if she was truly hungry. They always say "she WILL eat if she is hungry enough". I am not sure I could ever get to that point, but I know it is very true. I also keep hearing that she will outgrow this, but my husband is very picky so I think it is just genetics.

Anonymous said...

Well, it could be God punishing you, but if you are craving things and are eating ALL night, you know what that usually means, PREGO???? Just kidding! Love ya sis!!

Amy said...

Yummy.
Don't worry about the small dinner. My daughter does it all the time. She ate 1/4 of a pear tonight and asked for dessert. I told her to finish her dinner. She said "No Thanks" and hasn't asked for food since.

pb&j in a bowl said...

Irene- I'm also leaning towards it being genetic, b/c Justin is crazy picky.

Jenipooh- HUSH YOUR MOUTH!! Not preggers, I promise. Somehow, I knew you or Kimmie would say that.

Amy- Glad to hear it's not just mine.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's time your mother reminded you how YOU learned to make your own ham sandwich--I believe you were a little picky yourself and I just got tired and said, "if you don't want what I fix, fix what you want."

Rachel said...

LOL. That is hysterical.
You're such a treasure. I think it has more to do with your subconscious than God, but I love your reasoning :-)
Salmon Patties, yum.

Kellan said...

Yes they do!! Funny post - I think you did the right thing, BTW. See ya. Kellan

suchsimplepleasures said...

you know what...i love you!!! i have sent my kids to bed without dinner...so. many. times. seriously...i refuse to give in to that "i'm not eating it" stuff. if they aren't going to eat what i make then...gosh darn it...they aren't going to eat. period!
awesomeness!!!
xoxo

Suburban Turmoil said...

I would say you must be pregnant, but this was a really long time ago...

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.