Thursday, April 10, 2008

What's That Smell?

Maddie and I were walking on the sidewalk, headed towards the doors of her school. There were about 5 or 6 other moms doing the same thing. No one was really talking; everyone was pretty much in their own little world.

We passed the flower beds, recently filled with mulch. The really smelly kind. Maddie grabbed her nose, and suddenly the silence was broken.

"Sshhoooooowwieeee! Yuck!" Moms turned to look. Apparently there was a code of silence going on, that I didn't know about.

"Yep, that mulch smells pretty bad, doesn't it?" Look, I know I don't fit in with any of you fashionistas, especially today, but I do like to actually talk to my child.

"Guess why. Cause it's made with poopie. Really, really stinky poop. That's why. Poop makes flowers grow." Hey now, I heard that snicker. Mind your own poop, why don'tcha?

"No. I'm pretty sure it's not." Please stop talking about poop. No- please stop talking about poop in front of these other moms, who I'm sure have never pooped in their perfect lives.

"What is it then?" Why me?

"Umm, I'm not really sure. Probably leaves and dirt and mulch stuff." Just drop this poopie conversation. Please.

"Well- Daddy told me it was made of poop. It stinks like poop. It. Is. Poop." Hhmmm, who do I love more, right now? The child who thinks mulch is made of poop and is declaring her knowledge to the world, or her daddy who told her that?

Note to self: When your child acknowledges that something smells bad, don't comment on it.

Reason: POOP HAPPENS.





Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Wendi said...

Maddie is hilarious! She will have no trouble fitting in at her "extended-stay" place. No worries.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious!

Oh my gosh, I will have to store this one away in my mind for when my little one starts talking!

MommyTime said...

I know those mommies!! They live in my town! I wish I had known you lived so close to me...we could have had play dates long ago. :)

Flea said...

Poop conversations are the BEST! There's a little bit of poop in all our vegetables, you know. Wait till daddy tells her that! :)

Anonymous said...

Kids love to point out the poop in everything!

Sarah said...

That is so funny

Kimberlee Kee said...

Well...she was right, in a Maddie sort of way. At least we can all enjoy her little "quotes", no matter what the subject matter is.

Anonymous said...

Well, if the fashionistas were annoyed at you for talking poop, at least now they're blaming your hubby... and probably relating!

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.