Saturday, April 26, 2008

Fisney

"Congratulations, Justin, I'm so and so from the local newspaper. You recently filled out a contest sheet, and your entry was selected. You won a $5oo gift certificate to the Disney store."

He called to tell me the good news. I had visions of stockpiling Christmas and birthday gifts. I planned on selling lots of the good stuff on eBay, because when someone is building you a house, they would rather have cash and not Disney goods. I was even going to let Maddie get a real princess dress up outfit- you know, the one that costs a gabillion dollars.

Then he told me that it had to be used in the rapidly depreciating mall, right around the corner. And this is the last weekend The Disney Store is going to be open. The gift certificate was only available at this one particular store, which I thought was really strange. But, at least we would be able to get even more stuff, due to the store closing sales.

Our weekend is so incredibly busy, the only chance we would have to go spend our $500, was Friday night. We arrived, ready to shop.

"Mommy, where are all of the toys?"

We talked to the manager. Her first words, "So, do you think you'll be able to find $500 worth in here?" Not a good sign.

I asked about going to a different Disney store.

"Well, this is not really a Disney store anymore. We are a wholesale group that sells discontinued items from Disney."

Great. I was expecting something like Macy's and got T.J. Maxx. It was Fisney. Fake Disney.

We started shopping.

"Sure you can have that. It's only $.89, why don't you get a few of them. Maddie, look at this Tink shirt. They don't have your size, but they do have an adult small- do you think you'll still like it when you are 20?"

It was a lot harder to spend the $500 than I thought I would. Pens, coffee cups, stamps, shirts that don't fit yet, and gigantic popcorn tubs- we got 'em.

In fact, if you went to Disney World in '06 and forgot to get a snowglobe, let me know. I'm sure there's one around here somewhere.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Irene said...

What a bummer! I would be so excited to get such a gift, and so bummed when I realized how lame it actually was! Did you get anything cool?

Wendi said...

What a disappointment!!!
"Fisney"...you are clever!
Maybe you can sell the junk on eBay anyway... people will buy anything!
Maybe you will make enough profit to purchase some nails for the new house!
Have a great weekend!

MommyTime said...

How lame of them! That's not a gift certificate to The Disney Store. That's a gift certificate to Disney Dollar. So sorry for you.

Anonymous said...

What a lame-o contest. I cannot even believe it! Bizarro I tell you.

Karen said...

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing. This would be my kind of luck. Win a $500 shopping spree and be told you can only shop at Fisney.

And the worst part is that you probably have nothing to resell on ebay or even gift away. Nothing like $500 worth of yard sale crap.

Anonymous said...

I am guilty of laughing too.. Only because this is my kind of bad luck.. congrats on the free $500 worth of pens. :)

Anonymous said...

I heard about the Disney stores closing from a family memeber who works for an un-named financial institution. Life is changing rapidly here in the ole Us of A.

Namaste.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got trick-or-treat fodder to last you a lifetime. Kids will quit coming to your house because you'll be known as the Fisney family during frick-or-freat! hehe

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.