Monday, April 14, 2008

Whatever Works

When I was trying to find a dentist for Maddie, I did what most first time moms do. I asked my friends who they take their kids to. Most of the people I asked take their kids to a family dentist, but I kept having fond memories of a big wooden airplane that my sisters and I would fight over in our pediactric dentist's office.

It was awesome. White, with red trim. One could sit in the front, two in the back. It was almost as much fun as being the one to push the button on the elevator.

Fond memories. And, I wanted that for Maddie. Something fun. Sure, I wanted the dentist to be certified and all of that stuff, but I wanted her to want to go to the dentist. If only for the toys.

Boy, did I hit the mother lode.

It is every future princess' dream come true. Every wall is painted like a castle, complete with dragons, Cinderella's mice, and life size knights. The waiting room actually has a castle, that the kids can play in. Each little room has video games, kitchens, puzzles, you name it and it is there.

It totally beats the wooden airplane we fought over.

In fact, I think next time I'll get us there about 30 minutes early, just so she can play. And, I can actually read an entire magazine. From now on, I'm choosing doctors, dentists, optometrists, etc. based solely on their waiting rooms.

She had an appoitment today, to get a cavity filled. Before we went, she was having a hard time listening and getting dressed.

"Maddie, if you don't get dressed, you cannot go to the dentist today."

It worked. And that's what it's all about.

Finding something that your kids really like, so you can threaten to never let them do it again.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

You are definitely NOT the only one who does this. And that dentist sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

My kid's dentist has flat screen TV's on the ceiling with the latest DVD movie playing and headphones, an arcade a train station. It's really unbelievable what these docs have done. Of course it costs 3x as much as my family dentist (we don't have dental insurance) but the kids aren't afraid which is really nice.

Anonymous said...

You're the only one who does that. You horrible woman.

Ha! Just kidding. That is the all-time bargaining chip in motherhood from what I can see.

Sounds like an awesome dentist. If I'd had one like that when I was young this over bite might not be here anymore.

-- Jonny's Mommy

Amy said...

You are on to something. I need do some research on the best waiting rooms in the area. If nothing else, I am going to go there under the guise of checking out the doctor. Really I will use the opportunity to let my children play while I get to read a magazine that I didn't have to buy. Do you think they'll notice that we don't actually have an appointment?

barbra said...

My kids enjoy the waiting room at the dentist, and then despite the toys and TVs all around the chairs, all scream and cry when it's time to open their mouths for the cleaning. It's hell.

Bren said...

Yep! I totally do it. Works like a charm!

Wendi said...

I. love. it.

*"From now on, I'm choosing doctors, dentists, optometrists, etc. based solely on their waiting rooms".

Classic. I think I will do the same. Great idea!!!

MommyTime said...

You are not the only one. I hope we all do it (or else you and I are the only ones). My dentist has no such fun things, but I do love the thought that there might be one who does somewhere. Congratulations on such an incredible score!

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.