Saturday, December 1, 2007

Here Comes Santa Claus

For the last 2 weeks, we've heard all about the breakfast with Santa at Maddie's school. There were fliers almost every day, with random email reminders. It was only $7 a person, and the proceeds went to the varsity cheerleaders, so we decided to take Maddie.

Last year's visit with Santa was a flop, but since it had been an entire year, we thought she would do better. We rehearsed what Santa would say, and what he would be wearing. We told her there would be someone taking pictures. And she was ready. She knew exactly what she was going to ask for.

So, we got in line and waited. And waited. 25 minutes. Then when we got to the front of the line, there was a table set up. "They must be taking up more donations, or maybe if you want additional pictures," I said to Justin. "Just get the smallest amount."

When we stepped up to the table, we told the lady that we just had one child, and asked how much it would be for a picture."

"It's $35 to visit Santa and have your picture taken."

And just sitting in his fully padded lap was not an option. You had to pay the money even if you didn 't even want a picture.

"I thought the $7 each took care of the visit and the breakfast. I guess it was just for the 2 pancakes, slice of sausage and carton of milk. Dangit, I wish she had on her Christmas dress. For 35 extra dollars, it better be a good picture..." I whispered to Justin.

And then, I heard it. First, a whimper. Next came the subtle shake of the head. Could it be? Ooh, I think we may have an out.

"I don't wanna sit in his lap." YES!

"Are you sure?" please be sure, please, please, pretty please.

"Yes." and the angels started singing.

Justin and I made eye contact with each other and nodded. Then we each tried to put on a good show of trying to make her to sit in his lap. We didn't even mind a few tears, for effect.

I got my $35 back.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That's craziness. Absolute craziness, I say. Highway, no wait, sleighway robbery.
Isn't it great when the kids cooperate and throw tantrums just when you want them to!
LOL!
Hit the mall santa, so much cheaper. Good luck!!

lattemommy said...

Too funny! I love how you and hubby milked the situation a little to ensure you got your money back. Great minds think alike!

Rachel said...

^^^ ? say what????^^^^

Suburban Turmoil said...

35 DOLLARS! WTF!

pb&j in a bowl said...

Rachel, I don't know what in the world that previous comment was all about. I'm guessing a blogging spam. . . who knows? But I deleted it because I couldn't stand to look at it anymore.

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.