Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Daddy's Girl

For the last 3 years, every time Maddie has woken up during the night, she has only wanted me to tend to her. If Justin goes in her room, she pitches a fit and cries until I go to see what the problem is. She rarely wakes up, and if she does, it is only if she needs to go potty or her covers fell off the bed.

Last night, she woke up after midnight and started calling for me. I went to her room, took the covers off the floor and covered her back up.

"I want Daddy."
"What? Do you need to go potty?"
"NO. I want to sleep with Daddy."
"Honey, you know you can't sleep with Daddy."
"Please get Daddy for me."

So, I did what she asked. I got her Daddy out of bed. While he was in her room, my heart was kinda breaking. I'm the only one she has ever wanted at night. Who's next? The post office employees? The nice man at the grocery store that always gives her stickers? Did the last 3, almost 4, years mean nothing to her? I've. Been. Replaced.

I'm eavesdropping, hoping that she calls me back, because Justin isn't tucking her in just right. Why does she keep asking for her daddy. He's standing right there, talking to her.

And then it hits me. She has a cold. She wants her Teddy. Not her Daddy.

I found her teddy and she went right back to sleep. Yep, I'm still number one. And I wasn't replaced. Yet.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

lattemommy said...

Hee hee hee! I love it! I know what you mean about feeling jealous when they want their Daddy. I've had similar experiences. Was Daddy a little sad to have been usurped by Teddy? Or was he like my husband when you wake him in the night - a walking zombie who can barely register what you say, let alone remember it in the morning... No wonder they want us Mommies to help them in the middle of the night! *grin*

Anonymous said...

Yeah, talk now, but there is always "Gram".

Kellan said...

Oh, what a cute story - you haven't been replaced after all. See you later. Kellan

suchsimplepleasures said...

that's so funny! and here i am...patiently waiting to be replaced...especially for the early morning wake up call from my little one...

Amy said...

What a cute story.
I hope she gets over her cold soon.

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.