Monday, March 17, 2008

And The Winners Are. . .

Just My Type and Amy at Memories and Musings of a Mommy . Congrats! You know who Jeff Galloway is and proved my husband wrong. Woohoo to you!!

For those of you who don't know who he is, I'll tell you- although you probably either a.)don't care or b.)already googled his name and now know.

Jeff Galloway wrote the book that convinced me that I could train for a half-marathon and eventually a full marathon. When I first started to get interested in training for long distance running, I read his book Running religiously. His books give easy to follow training programs, and covers every aspect of running. If you are even slightly interested in beginning a running program, I highly recommend his books.

And now for something completely different. . . kinda.

When Maddie and I go to the gym, she always asks me what kind of exercises I'm going to do. One day, a couple of months ago, I told her that I was going to run. She told me that she really wished that she could run with me and asked why she couldn't.

There is an indoor track at my gym that very few people use. I checked with the staff and they said that it was fine if she went up there, as long as I stayed with her and kept her out of everyone's way.

So, that has become our ritual. We make sure there aren't many people on it, and go run/jog. I use that time as my warm-up. She usually runs 1/2 mile without slowing down. We have fun. And, it's something that I hope she continues to like, because it would be so cool to have her for a real running buddy.

Today, she led us in our stretches. There were a few older people on the track, but not too many. She started running. If someone was in her way, she would switch lanes without being told. If someone was coming up behind her, she would move out of their way. All was good. Some of the older people even told her how well she was doing. Some clapped their hands and said, "way to go!"

When we were done, this really old man approached us. I thought he was going to tell Maddie something sweet, cause that's what most 80 year old people do. I was mistaken-

"You know she's not supposed to be up here. It's 10 and up. Only." And, he was mean about it.

"Well, I asked the people at the desk and they said it was fine, as long as I kept her with me."

"NO. 10. And. Up." Then, he had the nerve to point to the rules sign. Yes, there it was. 10 and up.

I wanted to pinch him. But, he was wearing green, and I didn't think I could get away with it, otherwise.

He had just informed my very astute daughter that her mommy was breaking the rules.

And, that's just mean.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Nicole Brady said...

I read a great post recently on one of my fav blogs about... Well, n/m - maybe you should just read it. Here's the link: http://pbjinabowl.blogspot.com/2008/03/one-lesson-at-time.html

Maddie is smart. I'm guessing she'll learn a lesson about all this. Some rules are just guidelines and are okay to "break" if you have permission. Oh, and that some old men are just grumpy. All.the.time.

I think it's great that you take her running. After all, they say today's kids are lazy and don't get enough exercise. If you're responsible about taking Maddie on the track, then why would anyone care. It's not like she's running around like a loon and trying to trip people!

Just My Type said...

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

I'm in good company with Amy. I just figured out you might not know my name. It's Tina.

That grumpy old man really bummed me out. He, if anyone, should know life it too short. There is definitely a need for the no kids rule or the place would be an unsupervised jungle gym. However, there is always an exception when you have a parent and child close together BEHAVING and minding their own business. I'm sure he took it to the front desk. Jerk.

Anonymous said...

There is no excuse for rudeness! But remember your grandmother said, "When I reach 80, I guess I can say anything I want to."
Criticize my grandchild and watch out! Run Maddie! Run! (From Gram)

Anonymous said...

Was there a sign that said you could not kick him?? LOL

What a grump he was..

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

How mean! Jim is dying for Owen to become his running buddy too. He loves to run so it's quite possible! It's great Maddie is interested in exercising...sounds like she was even obeying the track rules (except for the age requirement) so that man needs to relax. You know you had permission and it was fun, and that's all that matters :)

Irene said...

That was NOT breaking the rules because you had permission. Right?

I hate mean old people....

MommyTime said...

Mommies should never be "outed" in that way. Seriously not fair.

You've been tagged. I hope you don't mind.

Kellan said...

Some people just ned a good pinching!!!

Hope you had a good day - see you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

What an old goat!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

What a grouchy old fart! That attitude won't get him anywhere. I'm glad you have a mini-running buddy and I hope she stays interested.

Nissa said...

What an old meanie. Do they have yoga classes there? Maybe they would help him with his anger issues.. lol


And I totally should have remmebered Jeff Galloway. He wrote a book- "Running until you're 100" and includes my marathon running friend in there! She'd hit me if she knew I forgot! She's a big fan of his, too.

Amy said...

Ooh, you should have tripped him on his next lap!

suchsimplepleasures said...

what a jerk!! you should have tripped him and then have maddie run over him!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh gawd, you should have just kicked him in the knees! Whatever, get a life you loser rule-pointer-outer. Poop on him.

barbra said...

You're not breaking the rules. You have permission from the gym.

That's the kind of situation where I realize later what I should have said: "Is she bothering you? I'd like to know what she's doing that's bothering you so I can make sure she doesn't do it anymore. Because as far as I can tell, she is behaving just the same way the adults are." But I NEVER come up with these things in the moment!

Amy said...

I'm so mad at the grumpy old man! I think that it is wonderful that you let Maddie run with you. Maybe this weekend I will take my girls to the track.

Yeah! I won. For my self imposed prize, I am going to get a copy of Jeff Galloway's book from the library. I can't believe that I haven't done it yet.

Suburban Turmoil said...

What a jerk. I'm actually dying for someone to say something rude to me, because I decided that the very next time it happens, I'm just going to give them a blank look and say, "Uh, no speak-o English-o." I can't imagine anything more annoying. And what could they possibly say back?

Maybe you could try that the next time you see him? :D

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.