Monday, August 11, 2008

Quarters

Maddie has a new obsession with money. She finds a penny and carries it around all day long, saying "I'm rich" over and over.

She also asks for a new toy/coloring book/anything she sees that she deems "cool" everytime we go to a store. And, I hate feeling like the bad mom because I don't every cheapo notepad with Hannah Montana she wants.

So, I decided that it was time to teach her some responsibility about money. And it helps me out with my most hated chore. Making the bed.

If Maddie makes her own bed, with no help- I give her a quarter.
If Maddie doesn't make her bed- she gives me a quarter.
If I help her make her bed- no quarter for either of us.

Then, she is allowed to take the money that she has earned and purchase something with it. I'm trying to teach her to save it, instead of spending it immediately. My method for that is telling her to put it in her piggy bank and then claiming that I don't know how to get the money out. I'll work on that later.

She likes earning money. I like not having to make her bed. It's a win-win.

However, lately, she's turned the tables on me.

"Mommy- my book is in my room. Will you get it for me?"

"You can go get it. You know where it is."

"I'll pay you a quarter, if you do. But if I do, you have to pay me."

"Um. No. It doesn't quite work like that, my dear little swindler."

So far, she's offered me money for getting her milk, opening yogurt, and putting the dvd of her choice in the dvd player.

I haven't actually taken any of her money for doing, you know, mom stuff. But, if business doesn't pick up at any of my or Justin's jobs, I'm not above getting paid from my four year old.

I'll just pay the mortgage one quarter at a time.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I love it!
The best my kids have come up with is "if you don't do ____, I won't be your best friend." Pffft! I tell them I already have a best friend anyway!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

That is great. What a hilarious kid you have. Sounds a little like my nieces. They are very creative too. Some of the stories their mom tells me just make me laugh.

I wonder if Jonathan will be like this too when he gets older.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's hysterical! My kids said they would give a dollar if I did their homework...yeah right.

Amy said...

Oh that is too funny! Reminds me of the other night when my little one said she was going to buy dinner because she brought her purse and had some money. All 87 cents of it.

Wendi said...

I think it is fair to say...
You. have. your. hands. full.
Hilarious.

Kellan said...

How cute! They do learn fast - HA!

Nice to see you - have a good day - Kellan

Carol said...

So funny.

I wish someone would offer to pay me a quarter for every mundane task I undertake.

But thats never gonna happen.

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.