Sunday, August 17, 2008

Inexcusable Horror

I vaguely remember Justin telling me about a girl that he used to date in high school. Now, I can't stop thinking about her.

This is one of the most recent articles written about her in a local paper:

Woman accused of attempting to suffocate daughter By JAMIE DEXTER The Leaf-Chronicle

A Dickson, Tenn. woman faces attempted first degree murder charges after she allegedly tried to suffocate her daughter, according to an arrest warrant signed by Montgomery County Sheriff's Investigator Julie Webb.

April Lynette George, 32, who gave a Dickson, Tenn. address, was booked into the Montgomery County Jail Friday and charged with two counts of criminal attempted first degree murder and one count of aggravated child abuse. She is being held without bond.

George's daughter told investigators she woke up on July 23 to her mother holding her hand over her nose and mouth, Webb wrote. When her daughter struggled, George released her.
Later, the daughter told investigators, George drove her to Rotary Park and inside a restroom, attempted to again suffocate her, Webb wrote. When her daughter struggled, she slammed her head against the wall in an attempt to knock her out, Webb wrote.

George told a nurse at Gateway Medical Center that she tried to kill her daughter, Webb wrote, and she tried to knock her daughter out so it would be easier to suffocate her. The daughter's age was not given in the arrest warrants.

Justin received a link to this article from a friend of his. She remembers George being abused as a child, but this in no way makes it okay or excusable. Frankly, it makes me sick to my stomach.

The little girl is 8.

She will remember this.

And, there is no telling what else she remembers. Or will remember as she ages.

My prayer tonight is for the little 8 year old girl that I can't get out of my head, who probably has lots of questions. The little girl that knows that her mother, the one who is supposed to love and care for her no matter what, tried to kill her.

And, because I kinda feel obligated, I'm also going to pray for her mother. I sincerely hope that she gets whatever help she needs. As hard as I pray that her mother gets help, I'm also praying that she never gets custody of her daughter again.

Her daughter needs to feel some sense of safety. It's a shame her mother can't provide that.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Rachel said...

oh my word Chelsea. That's so awful, it's just tragic.
I will join you in your prayers for them, wow.
such a sad and horrible thing to happen to anyone.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Oh, that's awful. Thank goodness your husband didn't end up with her! That poor little girl. =(

peapodsquadmom said...

That's so horrible! I'll never in a million years understand how a parent could intentionally harm his/her own child.

Wendi said...

I. can. not. imagine.
Horrible.

Anonymous said...

what a heartbreaking story. i'll join you in prayer.

Anonymous said...

speechless here.

Anonymous said...

Geez that is unexcusable! OMG I can't even stand hearing that. Poor baby girl.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

What the heck is wrong with people?! That is just awful. She must have some kind of mental condition or something!

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.