Thursday, August 21, 2008

Not Interested

Since we moved to our new house, we've been getting phone calls out the wazoo about everything possible. Phone service, cable service, land treatment, surveys, etc.

The other day, this sweet lady called and wanted me to do a quick survey about our water. No problem. It took about 3 minutes and I forgot about it.

The next day, I got another call from the same company. They wanted to come out and test our tap water. Before I could say no, they offered a gift certificate to a restaurant and movie passes. I'm a sucker for free stuff, so I agreed to let them come out to do the test.

Justin was not happy. He ranted and raved about how they were just coming out to try to sell us something. He said that he would take Maddie to the park, but his bubble was shot to pieces when I told him that we both had to be present. HA! He told me that if I answered "yes" to anything, he was gagging me.

I told him that no matter what, I would not buy anything that this guy was selling. I would not agree to getting a new filtration system, even if the salesman went into detail about every pharmaceutical and solid wasted product that is in our water.

Even as I promised him, I remembered when my college roommate and I had a makeup consultant come to our apartment. We promised each other that no matter what, we would not buy anything.

Two hours later, we were both several hundred dollars deeper in debt and certified BeautiControl agents. I still remember that woman's name. Ugh. She got us.

There was no way that was going to happen again.

A few minutes after the water man got to our house, Justin conveniently got a phone call and went to the bedroom. The man was going over everything that could possibly be in our water and said that he would wait to go over the rest when Justin got back.

I asked him if Justin had to be there. He said yes. That he would need to help me make the decision on getting this super expensive water filtration thing. I guess because, you know, a woman needs help making decisions on her own.

I took a deep breath. I knew what I had to do.

"Can I be honest with you? We can not afford this. We don't even have a refrigerator, yet. Which is why I want the $25 gift certificate to the restaurant of my choice, that was promised to me. No obligation to buy. So, he really doesn't need to be in here to help me tell you that I'm not interested." But please don't get mad and forget to give me my free stuff.

"Thank you for letting me know, up front. We are short staffed and there are lots of other stops I can be doing. Here's my card and your free gifts. Call me if you ever find yourself interested in this product or sick from all the contaminants in your water. I'll show myself out."

And, that was that.

As I was drinking my non- filtered water, I had an epiphany.

Telling someone "no" is a lot easier than I thought. And a heck of a lot cheaper.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Patricia said...

"No" is a very liberating word. Why we always get hoodwinked into doing or buying things we don't want or like.... I used to end up at the receiving end of all that stuff until I learned "no".

It feels great to grow up a little bit more and assert your independence, doesn't it? No guilt!

Amy said...

Wow, I have never been that lucky. However I don't think it would have worked on the Kirby guy.

Wendi said...

Oh my gosh!
You mean it really is that easy?
I have tried saying "no" a time or two.
It just wouldn't come out.
Thanks for the inspiration.
I am going to do this.
Would you be the grade mom?
No.
Would you keep my kids?
No.
Would you like to buy vinyl windows?
No.
I think you saved a life sista!!!

Jessica said...

We totally got suckered into this when we moved in. $300 in free groceries was promised and after 3 HOURS of listening to his shpill, we were left w/ an order form to send off for some coupons. Ugh! I told my sweet husband that he could NEVER agree to that again! And, we didn't get the filter, BTW. My water is just fine the way it is.

Anonymous said...

it is easier to say no...and waaaaaaay less expensive!! good for you!!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! My husband used to spend so much time on the phone trying to figure out a polite way to say "no" to overbearing salespeople. Thank God for the Do-not-call list!

Anonymous said...

I never EVER know how to say no.. and my husband wants to kick me because of it..

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.