Friday, August 29, 2008

Mawmaw

Have you ever known of a place where you were always welcome, no matter what? Where the door was always open, and there was a cold Coke waiting for you in the 'fridge?

That's been my Mawmaw's house for as long as I can remember.

You could sit with her in her driveway, shucking freshly picked corn, and find out every bit of small town gossip within 20 minutes. Give her another 30 minutes and she could find out every single thing going on in your own life.

Every Christmas that I can remember, we've had a huge family lunch at her house. Aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews- everyone came to Mawmaw's house. Her eyes always had a way of lighting up, each time a family walked through her kitchen.

I remember her wanting to have cookouts on July 4th, because that was my grandfather's favorite holiday, even though he was no longer with us. And we did. But the fun didn't really start for us until dark. Her yard was always the best for catching fireflies. And she always had a jar for us to put them in.

As much as she may have loved her family, she loved God more. She could and would quote scripture like no one I've ever known. Every decision she made was carefully prayed over and she would keep praying until she knew what God wanted.

My mom was visiting last Friday. She got the call. The one we had all been dreading. Mawmaw had taken a turn for the worse. We left that day and drove back to Memphis to be with her.

My Mawmaw died on Monday night.

And a piece of my heart went with her.

I know that she is no longer in any pain. I know that she is with my Daddy Robert. I know that Heaven has always been her goal. I know. But she was my Mawmaw.

And I loved her.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

So very sorry for your loss, sweetie. She sound like she was a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

Mawmaws always mawmaws remain. I am so sorry for your loss and your pain. It is so difficult to lose someone whom you love so much. Take comfort in keeping her memory alive within. God bless.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss.. hugs to you..

Karen said...

I'm sorry for your loss. But it was a wonderful tribute to her life that she taught you about God.

MommyTime said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending warm thoughts and much sympathy for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I know how hard it is to lose a granparent. I remember when my grandma died and I thought I wouldn't be so sad because I would know she was no longer suffering. But dang it was terrible and painful. I'm so sorry.

Kimberlee Kee said...

It's funny how we remember different things. I remember shelling peas. Peas, peas, and peas. And you didn't mention how pb& j in a bowl got started many years ago in her kitchen to satisfy hungry grandchildren. But you did mention the most important thing about her, her love for God. Thank you Chels for a sweet tribute. Very appropriate. She left so much love for everyone, but we still feel a little lost without her.

Anonymous said...

chelsey, i'm so sorry to hear about your mawmaw. i lost a grandparent in january, and it is a tough loss to go through. i'll be praying for you all!

Rachel said...

Oh Chelsea honey.
She is in a better place, but that doesn't lessen our pain back here on earth.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Big hugs and love. This was a beautiful tribute to her.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey. I'm so sorry. XXOO

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Oh, Chelsea, I am SO sorry. I still miss my Grandma, she passed away 7 years ago and just yesterday I was thinking about her house, and wishing I could go back in time and visit her. I dream of her often, too.
My prayers are with your family.
xoxo

Patricia said...

My condolences on the loss of your Mawmaw. My own crappy grandmother chose to excise her grandchildren out of her life when my grandfather died and left his house to his 2 children and not her (she is wife #2). The children would not sign the house over to her although she used sneaky means to try to persuade them to do so. Her next action was to cut us all out. I do not miss that woman.

My MIL and FIL are the loving warm & attentive grandparents that I would have wanted and they are awesome with all 13 of their grandchildren - not to mention those in-laws too!

Suburban Turmoil said...

I'm sorry, Chelsea. Thinking of you.

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

So sorry for your loss.

I lost my grandmother five years ago and it was awful.

Hang in there and hold on to the memories.

Sarah said...

She was a wonderful great-grandmother!! I still can't believe we lost her

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Oh, Chelsea. I'm so sorry. I just talked to my Mamaw today, and this makes me even more grateful that I did. Your grandmother sounds so wonderful. Hang on to those beautiful memories.

Sending my love,
Adrienne

Wendi said...

I am so sorry for your loss.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
((hugs))

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.