Friday, March 6, 2009

Chocolate Pie

Justin has a terrible diet. He knows it. I know it.

His breakfast, every single morning consists of a king size candy bar and a Mello-Yello. His lunch is usually fast food. Most of the time his dinner is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and whatever instant potatoes Maddie doesn't eat.

His family history leaves a lot to be desired. His dad had both a heart attack and a stroke before he was 50. His mother has diabetes.

But I know that no matter what I say, he is going to eat what he wants to eat. If I were to tell him that he couldn't have something, it would make him want it even more. But, it doesn't stop me from wanting to warn him about the long term side affects.

Last night, I walked up to a lady that I work with. This lady is 75 years old and waits tables like nobody's business. Somehow, the conversation turned to health and eating and diabetes. She told us this story.

"When my husband was 36, he had diabetes, high blood pressure, and other health problems. It was December 22. We had been out most of the day. I fixed a pot roast for dinner- trimmed all the fat off because he didn't need it. He wanted a piece of chocolate pie. I wouldn't let him have it. We argued about it, but he didn't get his chocolate pie."

I laughed for a minute because Justin would definitely argue if I told him he couldn't have chocolate pie.

"He needed me to run some errands and on the way home, I got behind an ambulance. I followed it to my house. It pulled into my driveway."

I stopped laughing.

"My husband had had a heart attack and died. I sure wish I had let him have that piece of chocolate pie. When it's your time, it's your time."

So, Justin- eat your candy bars and your chocolate pie. But, seriously, a salad every now and then wouldn't hurt.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Carrin said...

What a sad story. I couldn't imagine what she must have been feeling at that moment when the ambulance pulled into her driveway.
You only have one life, eat pie!

Nicole Brady said...

Wow. That is very sad... My heart goes out to that woman.

My grandma just passed away this past fall. She lived into her 90s and ate chocolate all the time. There's something to be said for quality of life.

But I know what you mean about watching what our loved ones eat - my FIL passed away at a young age due to a heart attack. His grandfather passed away at a young age due to brain aneurysm. His uncle passed away at a young age from brain cancer. I think about it every day. But now I'll think of this story too and remember that it's okay to eat pie.

Terri said...

How sad. That poor woman. Yes, let him have his candy bars. :(

MommyTime said...

What a sad story. And yet, while it's true that in one lifetime we should all eat pie, it's also true that a little salad would probably be a nice balance to the pie. Have you told your husband this story?

Sarah said...

Yipe! Yet deep down, I hope it's just one of those stories clever waitresses tell to make you order dessert.

Karen said...

Wow, that's a dose of reality. It just goes to prove that you should eat dessert first.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Wow, what a sad story. And it hits home for me, I've been posting about my hubby's poor diet. That's way too young to die!

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.