Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Last Supper- 5 Year Old Style

Most of the time Maddie understands Bible stories as well as she does the concept of Cinderella. Basically, she hears the story and believes with all of her heart that it is true.

And I love that faith.

Last week, Maddie's school started telling the story of Easter, bit by bit.

"Guess what, Mommy."

"Ummm. . . you didn't have to go to the sad bear chair."

Insert sigh of disgust from her.

"No. I didn't. We learned a really cool Bible story."

"Really? That's great! Why don't you tell me about it."

"Well- I don't know if you will believe it."

"Of course I will believe it. If it came from the Bible it is true."

"Okay. . . In the last supper that Jesus had with his friends, they ate him."

"No, honey, that's not quite what happened."

"Uh-huh. It came from the Bible. It's true. They ate him and then drank his blood."

"Wow. I'll look it up in my Bible and try to explain it better, okay?"

So, I looked it up.

Matthew 26:26. . . "Take and eat; this is my body."
Matthew 26:27. . . Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, . . .

Oy.

"See, Mom. I told you that they ate Jesus and drank his blood."

"I don't know how to explain this to you, but I promise you that they didn't eat Jesus."

She looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about. And like I was going against everything we had taught her about the Bible and believing it.

I gave her a hug and promised to explain it when she is six.

Surely I can come up with something in a year, right?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Jenica said...

Wow! I don't know what I would say either! When you do explain it record it so you can share that with me Ha Ha!

Dawn said...

That is funny! I'm reading the Easter stories from their kids Bible and one has really graphic pictures of the crucifixion. Georgia always wants to go back to the gore!

Amy said...

That is hilarious!!

It's kinda like Kathryn who can't get her mind around the fact that Moses is a man in the Bible and not just her granny's dog!

C said...

Hi, just came across your blog.
I teach 6/7 year olds at a Catholic school, so I've come across this question a few times ;)
Really it's all aobut getting them to understand symbolisim. That Jesus didn't REALLY give them his blood, he gave themw ine, which he called his blood because he wanted them to feel like her would always be in them, with them, int heir hearts. And that that's why when we take communion, the priest says those words to us - because Jesus wants us to have him inside of us, to help us become better people.
-Jacey

Website Content and Copy: PBJinabowl.blogspot.com, 2007-8.
Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.